CMAA Mission Statement
The Club Managers Association of America advances the profession of club management by fulfilling the educational and related needs of its members.
CMAA's Brand Promise
CMAA provides its members with the expertise to deliver an exceptional club experience that fulfills the unexpressed needs and desires of its members and guests consistent with their lifestyles. We enhance our members' success by offering professional leadership development, ethical standards and responsive services.
This mission is accomplished through the following strategic priorities:
Providing state-of-the-art educational programs;
Representing the members to allied associations, club members and a broader public; and
Providing unique information and resources that increase member performance and career potential.
1. CERTIFICATION - To enhance the member's professional status through certification.
2. CLUB MANAGEMENT PROFESSION AND INDIVIDUAL CLUBS - To advance the club management profession and to assist individual CMAA members and their clubs.
3. COMMUNICATIONS - To effectively communicate with members, clubs, government, the media and the general public and to develop and maintain publications and other materials.
4. EDUCATION - To provide a wide variety of educational programs and materials to meet diverse educational needs.
5. ETHICS - To encourage high ethical standards in dealings with fellow club managers, clubs and others.
6. EXECUTIVE CAREER SERVICES - To assist CMAA members in their career development and in job opportunities and to assist clubs in securing management personnel.
7. GOVERNMENT RELATIONS - To interpret and report on changing social, governmental and economic conditions affecting club management.
8. MEMBERSHIP AND INTERNAL ASSOCIATION MANAGEMENT - To recruit and retain members and to manage the Association in a manner that will effectively represent the views of its members.
9. OTHER ORGANIZATIONAL RELATIONS - To foster appropriate relations with other organizations that will contribute to the objectives of the club industry and CMAA's members.
10. PREMIER CLUB SERVICES - To provide innovative programs, products and services for the successful operation of clubs.
11. RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT - To conduct research and develop, analyze and disseminate information/data related to club management and the club industry.
12. RISK MANAGEMENT To be a resource and advocate for CMAA members by providing risk management tools and educating members about insurance solutions.
Club Managers know they can trust CMAA. Close to 7,000 members receive guidance from CMAA for operational assistance, clubhouse renovations, governance, job changes, certification or the latest technological advances - whatever the profession brings their way. Through change, through excellence, through it all, CMAA is serving its members.
CMAA Code of Ethics
The Club Managers Association of America (CMAA) has established this Code of Conduct and Ethics (Code) to serve as a guideline of best practices for the professional conduct of its members and associates.
The Code offers a set of standards to serve as a general guide to the manner in which club professionals perform their club management duties, as well as to guide decision making and conduct when ethical issues arise. It does not provide a set of rules that prescribe how club professionals should act in all situations. Specific applications of the Code must take into account the context in which it is being considered and the possibility of conflicts among the stated values, principles and standards.
Adherence to this Code is not mandated as a condition of continuing membership in CMAA and it will not be enforced against CMAA members. However, it is incumbent upon CMAA members to be knowledgeable and diligent regarding the use of sound business and ethical principles and to keep abreast of competency-based practices and procedures.
As CMAA members, we subscribe to the following Code of Conduct and Ethics:
- We promote and recognize club management as a valued profession and conduct our personal and business affairs in a manner to reflect capability and integrity. We honor our contractual employment obligations.
- We maintain collaborative and harmonious inter- and intra-professional relationships and accept the club management profession’s values and distinctive standards.
- We uphold the best traditions of club management through adherence to sound business principles. By our behavior and demeanor, we set an example for our employees and enable our club officers/trustees to make efficient and sound decisions furthering successful club operations.
- We support community and civic affairs by maintaining positive relations with the public sector to the extent possible within the limits of our clubs’ demands.
- We work to advance our knowledge and abilities as club professionals, and willingly share with fellow members the ideas, experiences and information gained through supporting and participating in our chapter and national education/networking programs.
- We strive for excellence in the profession by maintaining and enhancing our own knowledge at the highest level of certified competence and performance. We encourage the professional development of our staffs and foster the aspirations of potential members of the profession.
- We assist our fellow club managers in the pursuit of their professional goals using available resources, including referral and/or interpersonal collaboration when appropriate.
- We avoid conflicts of interest whereby personal, financial, or other considerations have the potential to influence or compromise professional judgment and objectivity with those doing business with our clubs.
- We comply with club law and provide our club officers/trustees with applicable specific requirements of Federal, State and Local laws, statutes and regulations.
- We distinguish between our personal convictions and professional responsibilities and do not allow our personal beliefs to interfere with the operations of our clubs/facilities.